Our home inspection last week had a garage door that has seen better days. Garage doors, if not taken care of, can lead to failure.
Proper maintenance of your garage door and opener is vital to ensure their smooth operation, prevent breakdowns, and prolong their lifespan.
Here are some steps to help you maintain your garage door and opener:
- Visual inspection: Check your garage door and opener regularly for signs of wear and tear, damage or loose parts.
- Lubrication: Lubricate the moving parts of your garage door and opener to reduce friction and wear. Use a silicone or lithium-based lubricant and avoid using grease or oil, which can attract dust and debris.
- Check the balance: A properly balanced garage door will operate smoothly and put less strain on the opener. Test the balance of your garage door by disconnecting the opener and manually opening and closing it. If it doesn’t move smoothly or doesn’t stay in place when partially opened, it may need adjustment.
- Tighten loose parts: Check for loose bolts, nuts, and screws on your garage door and opener and tighten them as needed.
- Test the safety features: Make sure that the safety features of your garage door and opener are working correctly. Test the auto-reverse function by placing an object in the door’s path and ensuring that it reverses when it comes into contact with the object. Be careful when doing this as if this function is not working, it can damage the garage door.
- Clean and clear the tracks: The tracks on which your garage door operates can accumulate dust, dirt, and debris, causing the door to operate sluggishly. Clean the tracks regularly with a cloth and remove any debris that may be obstructing them.
- Schedule professional maintenance: While there are many tasks that you can do yourself to maintain your garage door and opener, it’s essential to have them professionally serviced at least once a year. A professional garage door contractor can identify and fix any underlying problems that you may have missed.
By following these steps, you can keep your garage door and opener in good working condition and extend their lifespan.
After hunting the wonderful world of Youtube, we did find this helpful video to guide us in performing this maintenance. Click here for video
If you’re still uncertain and want some guidance, or if you want your garage door inspected, please schedule it online at https://www.bridgetowninspections.com or by calling 971-888-1410.